After running some ads in the local newspapers in order to ascertain how many people would be interested in organizing a Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation, Mount Calvary Lutheran Church was organized in 1950. Worship services were held in a classroom in Osborn Middle School (formerly known a Gradview School), located at the corner of 11th Avenue and Camelback Road.
Ten acres of land were purchased on the corner of Colter Street and 7th Avenue. Ground breaking for the current sanctuary took place in March of 1952.
Over the years, eleven "daughter" congregations were spun off from Mount Calvary beginning in 1960. Some of these congregations are: Lutheran Church of the Master, St. Paul's Lutheran, Holy Cross Lutheran, Beautiful Savior Lutheran, as well as others.
Called upon once more to lend a helping hand, Mount Calvary opened its property to Valley Lutheran High School as the school needed a new location within a matter of a few months to begin the 1985-86 school year. Valley purchased portable buildings which would be located on the east side of the property.
On July 1, 2015, the "mother church" of the Missouri Synod in the Phoenix area merged with Valley Lutheran and has now become a part of the school's ministry to central Phoenix.